Hong Kong bars some journalists from handover anniversary

By Zen Soo

June 30, 2022

FILE - A woman walks past a sculpture to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong handover to China, in Hong Kong, Friday, June 24, 2022. Hong Kong authorities, citing “security reasons,” have barred more than 10 journalists from covering events and ceremonies this week marking the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to China, according to the Hong Kong Journalists Association, Tuesday, June 28, 2022. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)



HONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong authorities, citing “security reasons,” have barred more than 10 journalists from covering events and ceremonies this week marking the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to China, according to the Hong Kong Journalists Association.


The journalists represent at least seven media outlets, including international news agencies Reuters and Agence France-Presse and others from Hong Kong, the association said in a statement posted online late Tuesday.


“The authorities have made ad hoc and narrow interview arrangements at this important juncture and have put forth vague grounds for refusal, seriously undermining the freedom of the press in Hong Kong,” the statement read.


The Hong Kong outlets affected include the English-language South China Morning Post, and Chinese-language newspaper Ming Pao as well as online news outlet HK01, the association said. The South China Morning Post said in a news report that one of its photographers had been rejected, with no reason given.


Reuters, Ming Pao and HK01 did not immediately comment. An SCMP spokesperson declined to comment, as did the Agence France-Presse.


The affected media organizations were invited to send other journalists to cover the event, but the replacements must also meet the quarantine and testing requirements, according to the journalist association’s statement.



Source: apnews.com